It is a shrub or small tree. The leaves are alternate, undamaged, lanceolate, dark green with small stem and slightly wavy. Their smell is fragrant and the taste is slightly bitter. The flowers come in March to April. The fruit is a drupe with fleshy pericarp and large seed. This is kyanomafro color or black when ripe, has an oval shape and size of a small olive. Since the fruits produced laurel oil having a paste and ordinary temperature is green.
This plant grows on limestone and well irrigated soils. Multiplication is done by seeds, which are sown in seedbeds. After 3-4 months the plant to the ground when deployed enough then transplanted in their final position. Besides, the bay leaf and propagated by cuttings and offshoots like.
The leaves are used as flavoring in cooking (relish foods like legumes) and packaging of nuts like figs or raisins. The essential oil having leaves and fruits (laurel oil) used for the preparation of insecticides and pesticides. A dilute decoction of them is used as a pesticide organisms infest horses.
In Greece the laurel was known since ancient times and refer to it in Homer. It was a sacred tree, dedicated to the god Apollo. First the Greeks and then the Romans used to crown with laurel branches the winners of the games. Thus, even the laurel today identified with the glory, the victory and supremacy. In ancient times it was also known therapeutic properties. Reported that the Pythia the Oracle of Delphi before giving him the oracle chewed bay leaves.
- Laurel has stimulant, diuretic, antispasmodic, emmenagogue, expectorant, sudorific and tonic properties.
- Laurel has antibacterial and antifungal activity.
- The decoction dissolves the salts of the organization and for amebiasis.
- The ointment with laurel oil and glycerin used in sprains and contusions.
- Aqueous laurel extracts can also be used as an astringent and even as an ointment for open wounds.
- In massage therapy, the essential oil of laurel relieves arthritis and rheumatism, while in aromatherapy, it is used to treat ear infections and high blood pressure. Also used for rashes caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and nettle as a poultice soaked in boiled laurel leaves.
- The essential oil is used in bloating of the abdomen, it causes contractions in the intestine.